Bacon Pie is simply genius. Tired of the same pie flavors every Thanksgiving? Lets give each other something to truly be thankful for. BACON.
- 1 9″ pie crust
- 3 strips bacon, chopped and fried crispy
- 6-7 medium to large tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used a combination of Cortlands and Ida Reds)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Scotch (I used Johnny Black. You want something noticeably smoky.)
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 6-7 slices bacon, halved lengthwise
Directions1.) Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread the pie crust in a 9″ pie pan and leave the overhanging edges. Sprinkle the bacon crumbles over the crust.
2.)Mix together the apple slices, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, cornstarch and scotch. Spread over the 3.)bacon in the pie crust. Pour the maple syrup evenly over the apples.
4.)Arrange the strips of bacon over the top of the pie crust in a lattice, then fold the edges of the pie crust over the bacon and crimp.
5.)Bake for about an hour, until the bacon on top is nicely crisp, the crust is browned and a knife pushes easily into an apple slice. (Happily, these should all happen at roughly the same time.)